Old March 12th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Basement cats

Susan M wrote:

Otis has been terrible at night again. He gets up first at 2 AM
and then at 6:30 AM. My face and collar bone have little scratches
from him trying to get my attention. Fred and I are exhausted all
the time.

I can imagine how exasperating as well as exhausting that must be.
Sometimes my cats disturb me in the middle of the night - usually it's
Smudge standing by the window (where my head is - right under the
bedroom window) and howling loudly, I guess wanting to go outside.

Usually, when that happens, I have to evict all the cats from the
bedroom, since it wouldn't make sense to keep two stuck in my room
just so I can shut Smudge out. (Occasionally, Roxy will remain
sound asleep during all of this, so I let her stay. She's usually
pretty well-behaved.)

In general, I trade off having the cats sleep with me, and having
catless nights. When they're not with me, I sleep much better, no
question about it. But I'd miss them if I never let them sleep with
me, so I tolerate less-than-perfect nights' sleep for the pleasure
of their company - usually on a night when I don't need to get up
at any particular time the next day (which is most days!).

One thing I wonder is, how does Fred feel about this? You are deeply
bonded with Otis, so even though it annoys you to have your sleep
disturbed, you also adore him. Does Fred get upset? He seems to
tolerate it pretty well, from how you tell it. Sounds like a really
difficult situation, all around.

But I think the idea of sometimes letting them sleep with you and
sometimes putting them in the basement might be the best compromise.
They might hate being stuck down there at night, but it's not *every*
night of their lives. And you might hate having your sleep disturbed,
but that's not every night of your life, either.

Purrs for peaceful nights for everyone!

Joyce

PS - I second the suggestion for Soft Paws for Otis. At least you
wouldn't get scratches all over you!