Old October 10th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
perriwinkle

Default first time having a cat with fleas, help!

Hi, I am also a first time cat owner, having brought home a stray. I
also discovered he had a few fleas. I went through his fur and picked
them out. They are quite hard to kill and you need to squash them
between your fingernails.......doesn't sound very pleasant, I know.
Though I did read that for every flea on a cat, there could be 200 in
the house!! That scared the life out of me too. Someone did tell me
that if you treat his flea collar every month you will never have a
problem with fleas. I got his flea collar done at the vet and have
bought some to do myself...they are expensive but will be worth it in
the long run....for the cats comfort and your own peace of mind. The
one I was recommended is "Advantage" and protects against fleas,
earmites and worms. Also the fleas are most prevalent from Spring
through Summer and hibernate in Winter.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.