Old May 17th 05, 06:01 PM
Philip

Wendy wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
-L. wrote:
ElvisRocks wrote:
Hi all - I am getting two more kittens (Cali & Randi are fine now
so now I'm able to add to my family) from the same shelter I got
Cali, but they are in foster care - about 3 months old - two boys.
They
are not neutered yet; what is the general age they do this now?
When
I got Randi he was done at 9 weeks before I got him. I'm getting
them the end of the week. One is a longhair gray and the other is
black & white.
They're so cute - both males. Carol

G;aad you are adding to your family. They can be safely neutered
now, as long as they weigh 2 lbs. They have to weigh at least that
much to be developmentally ready to handle anesthesia.

-L.

It's instructive to note that women cat owners lop off a cats balls
as soon as the cat can stand the anesthesia while male cat owners
perfer to wait until the first yowls of mating occur. Funny that
difference. Wonder how much of this is owner projection?

Well this woman cat owner doesn't fit your stereotype. I wait till my
girls are 6 mos and the boys 7 (or obviously sexually mature earlier)
before getting them neutered. I had never heard of very young kittens
being neutered until just recently so I guess it's a case of old
dogs, new tricks and all that. I'll wait for a generation of cats to
be neutered young and see what the long term effects are before
risking my own. But that's just me.

Your "girls" have balls (testicles)?

I am developing an opinion that *very* *early* sterilization gets vets more
customers, hence more revenue, (2)may well increase veterinary business
later on from unrinary tract issues like blockages, (3)and is promoted in
the interest of the greater good. (argh).