Old July 9th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Confusing (likely bad) new info on Espy

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 03:09:24 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
Espy went to the litterbox three times in five minutes last night and
appeared to be trying to poop but only a drop of liquid was in the
litter. Since his bladder was plugged up last week, it was right off
to the Specialty Vet. I gave them the whole story of last week's
action, including the abnormal liver enzymes.

The examination results were surprising. He did not currently have any
urinary issues - bladder seemed normal and no irritation that would
indicate a blockage. The reason for the litterbox performance is
unknown. However, he has a heart murmur. I don't know why my vet
didn't notice this, but neither did the emergency vet I took him to
last week.

The speciality vet also didn't think it too likely that eating
something bad would have caused the liver enzymes to be abnormal - so
what is causing that? Possibly heart problems if blood flow is
impaired.

Well, now I have more things to worry about. My vet will get the
results from the Speciality Vet and we'll figure out what to do next.
I think a chest X-Ray is in Espy's immediate future.

Worrisome. I was hoping he was "out of the woods." Please let us know how it
goes.

My vet says Espy doesn't have a heart murmur and that Espy was likely
just upset and it was transient. That sounds reasonable since neither
he nor the emergency vet Espy saw two weeks ago noted a murmur. But I
would think a vet at a specialty practice would also know about a
transient murmur. Ah well, it's good news I guess. In a week or two we
take another look at the liver enzymes and see where we go from there.

Last night Espy ate a (relatively) lot of food. This morning not so
much until I broke out the Fancy Feast Elegant Medley. I think I'm
being trained to skip the healthy stuff and just go for junk food. I
bought some Fancy Feast dry stuff that was on sale to have for some of
the outdoor cats and he's willing to eat that as well but not too much
of his Royal Canin #32.

He did attack the Temptations with his prior enthusiasm over the last
two days. Mostly he seems fine but I need to keep an eye on the
litterbox habits. I got the camera and need to set it up tonight so I
can use the motion detection software to see if he's going.

I'm going away in two weeks so things really need to settle down.