Old July 30th 03, 06:16 AM
Susan Garvin

"Debbie Bouthiette" wrote in message
I have a cat that just doesn't stop meowing. He mostly does it because

he
wants to go outside. We'd like him to be an indoor cat since all our

other
cats were indoor cats and we believe they live a healthier life indoors.

even tried to let him outside today in our fenced in yard and while I was
watching his every move and he meowed through the whole adventure. Does
anyone have any suggestion in how to keep him from this excessive meowing

or
know why he's doing it so much?

Debbie and Pepper

Our Orion meows loudly when he wants to go outside. However, he stops as
soon as I pick up his leash. If I don't want to take him out, a squirt of
water anywhere in his immediate vicinity makes him be quiet.

I agree with you about the indoor thing. We inherited our cats two years
ago, and their original owner had never let them out. We kept them in until
we moved last winter. Our new neighborhood has many cats who are either
housepets allowed outdoor or strays. Orion started howling when he saw
other cats outside, so I got him a leash and halter. He wants to go out
badly enough to tolerate the halter.

Our other cat, Larry, does not want to go outside under any circumstances.
Her insistent meowing happens when she carries her favorite toy (a drain
chain) around. Does anyone know why she howls then?

Susan