Old December 31st 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default The stigma of owning a cat.

Hi David~~I know just want you are going through, but first, how is
your little one? Any better? Is he eating now?
I actually changed jobs at one point because the chiropractor that I
worked for told me..."from now on tell your cats to die on a
Thursday.." Thursdays are customary days for chiropractors offices to
be closed. This family of chiropractors was in the business of
'healing' but had no compassion for anything past thier checkbooks!
I work for the school system now and fortunately have sick and
personnal days but I have always felt the stigma of being a cat owner
and still feel compelled to white lie about my time off. Of course,
if I was at work, I could not keep my mind on my job knowing I had a
sick one at home.
Even parents of human children fell compelled to lie when it comes to
saying home with their sick kids. Or worse, they can't stand being
home with them, so they send them to school or day care just to be rid
of them for the day, they get sicker, spread their nasty germs and
create an epidemic! I'll take my cats, anyday!
Thanks for opening the subject line and hope all is well!
Happy New Year...Lorraine, Toms River, NJ

On Dec 20, 11:46*am, "David McCracken"
wrote:
Hi everyone:

I haven't posted in this forum in a long while, but have always found it
full of great people with much knowledge and love for cats. *So I
immediately thought of this newsgroup when I wanted to share this
perspective about cat ownership.

One of my two 10-year-old cats suddenly became ill over the last weekend and
she's been in the hospital for the last few days. *The vet says her immune
system is attacking her red blood cells and platelets, so they've put her on
steroids and IV fluids. *They've stabilized her enough that I'm about to
pick her up in about a half hour. *She stopped eating once she got to the
vet, so their hope is that she'll start back up once she returns home and
gets back to her routine. *Otherwise, she may be returning to the vet and
spending the holidays there.

What I really want to discuss is what I've had to endure over the past few
days with friends and co-workers as I deal with my pet's health crisis. *I
suppose I could be imagining much of this, so bear with me. *My general
impression is that most dog people or non-pet owners don't seem to
understand the need to, for example, stay home from work babysitting a sick
cat. *I get the feeling as though cat ownership is less valid of an excuse
to be at home vs. a sick child or even a sick dog.

Jokes typically come up when I discuss how much I've already spent on my cat
(about $700 this week). *Someone had commented that they're not even sure
they'd spend that much on their own child, let alone a cat. *I realize they
were just ribbing me about it, but you know what they say about there always
being a shred of truth behind every joke. *On some base level, I think they
were actually being sincere. *I should point out that these are otherwise
good co-workers with whom I get along fine.

I'm wondering first if this is just my imagination...if other cat owners out
there have felt the sting of this stigma. *Perhaps people just have a hard
time linking a 6 foot, 2-inch, 235-pound male to two little kitties instead
of, say, a Doberman.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks again and happy holidays.