Old November 2nd 03, 10:17 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Gigi"

Instead of lambasting the flat nosed cats why not come up with some
constructive
ideas to help the owners of these cats?

We weren't lambasting the flat nosed cats, but rather the practice of breeding
them.

We have a Persian with a somewhat flat
face and we purchased him as a kitten. We wanted a Persian because they are
noted for their docile and loving nature, their ability to adjust to indoor
living and of course, their beauty.

My cats having very loving natures and are beautiful, and I didn't have to buy
them. I'd rather give a good loving home to cats from a shelter. But that's
just me I guess.

Yes, we would have been happier if he
hadn't developed quite such a flat face but we adore him and have figured out
ways to help him eat comfortably. My husband built a platform that is raised
off of the floor about 2 inches. This helps Archie to eat without having to
stick his whole face into his food and water bowls. Also, we feed him his
wet
food on a flat saucer.

I'm glad you've figured out a way for your cat to eat comfortably. But I feel
it's sad that a cat has been bred where it's necessary to do this.

Archie is very intelligent (another trait of Persians)

I'm sure Archie is very intelligent. My cats are very intelligent too shrugs

We searched the various pet rescue
centers, humane societies, etc. but just couldn't find a likely candidate for
our mobile life style. In our younger days we rescued many cats. All of
them
had some trait that made them less than enjoyable. This time we purchased a
cat
and are very satisfied with the results.
Gigi

I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchased results. Personally, I'm very
satisfied with my rescued kitties

Lauren
________