Old October 20th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stefan P.

Default Superflous de-worming?

Rene S. typed with one finger:

My question to you is, why would you need to worm a cat regularly?
Does it live outside? Has it had worms before?

I've taken in a stray kitten which I think is about 11-12 weeks old
(it's getting pretty cold here now, and he/she would've been likely to
have frozen to death soon). I'm in the process of worming it right now.
It'll be living indoors from now on, but I was told the other day by a
pharmacist to worm the kitten every three months.

That's why I was curious to know if this actually is a good idea, from
the cat's point of view. I feel like it would be treating something
preventively using antibiotics.

Best advice is to contact a veterinarian to get a dose of the proper
medication. Most likely, you'll be asked to bring in a stool sample
to check for parasites.

I will. Thanks for the answer.

// Stefan