Old October 23rd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

Default Superflous de-worming?

On Oct 20, 9:05 am, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"Stefan P." wrote in message

Hi, I was just wondering if de-worming a cat that doesn't actually
demonstrate any obvious signs of infection can have any averse effects
on it's health?

Is it also possible that any future worms might have developed a
resistance toward the medication if I regularly medicate?

My vet has done it for the cats I have taken in from the wild. That is the
only time she offers it unless there is a sign of an infection. Droncit is
safe and powerful and I have not heard of resistance issues. If a cat has
fleas, tapeworms are almost a certainty at some point. Tapeworms complete
their life cycle through fleas. You should not have to regularly medicate.
On average I have treated my cats maybe once every 2 years when I see
segments clinging to their backsides.

Paul

We adopted a stray a few years ago and even she wasn't de-wormed
because there was no evidence of any kind of parasites. I agree with
those who are saying there is no reason to regularly worm a kitten or
cat. Your vet can test for parasites and prescribe something only if
the kitten needs it. Why go through the expense and discomfort for the
kitten if there are no parasites?
-yngver