Old October 31st 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

Christina Websell wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[snip]

I really don't understand it. If I was going out of town for a week I'd
make sure I had at least two weeks worth of *everything*. Next time,
unless I can inspect her supplies the day before she leaves, I won't just
take her word for it. I should have learned by now.

Sorry, just venting again. I do love her cats. They're sweet, loveable
boys. But this is bordering on ridiculous.

I'd probably say to your neighbour when she comes home "I am happy to look
after your cats but this will be the last time unless you provide enough
food/litter/whatever to last while you're away otherwise you'll have to find
someone else"

[snip]

Myself, I would worry if I knew I hadn't provided enough food in case the
caretaker didn't, but obviously that's not a problem for your neighbour.
She expects you to provide food and litter!!
But what if you didn't?

Here's the problem with that: why should the cats suffer? If I were in
Jill's situation, I would be very annoyed about it, but I wouldn't let
the cats go hungry because their human doesn't know how to think ahead.
Then someone else always takes care of the consequences, so she never
has to learn.

I liked the idea of Jill inspecting the quantity of food and litter before
the neighbor leaves town, so Jill's assured there's enough to last the
length of her neighbor's trip. If the neighbor gets defensive about it, Jill
can then say that's her requirement for catsitting. Because the last time
the neighbor said there was enough, there wasn't, and Jill can't take her
word for it anymore. I think that's reasonable. It takes some assertiveness,
but it's certainly not out of line. Has she *ever* gone away and provided
enough of everything for them?

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.