Old March 2nd 15, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M[_3_]

Default Rubber mat to attach to 2x4s?

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Sylvia M" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote

I'm convinced that there is a better material than carpet for
attaching to 2x4s for climbing. For example, I have a ribbed rubber
doormat that looks close if it were cut lengthwise and hot melt glued
to the 2x4. Something longer would be better. Some ribbed rubber mat,
maybe something used for exercise equipment area, or whatever. It
doesn't have to be cushy when it's used for climbing. It just has to
provide traction and hold up to the abuse of their claws without
fraying and making a mess.

I wonder how you would train/convince the cat/cats not to use these as
a claw sharpener as well? I suspect that the rubber would soon be
shredded/frayed. Ofcourse if you wrapped the 2x4s with sisal cord, or
even clothesline rope, those might work and fill both needs.

They will more readily and easily shred cord or rope. And it's more
difficult to clean. Some rubbers are very durable. There are a jillion
different types of plastics and rubbers nowadays. Some plastics (like
UHMW) wear longer than steel. The days of something being cheap because
it's made out of plastic are long gone.

Hmm, do let us know what you used and how it works