Old June 17th 04, 03:39 PM
Mary

"DG511" wrote

give them each their own space and their own time with you, and it will

work out fine.

In my experience this is the finest advice. It sure worked for my two girls.
They will probably never act like litter mates, nesting and grooming each
other, but they have a healthy respect for one another and now, after two
years, play together more and more.

I never kept them separated via closed doors, but I took Cheeks right into
her territory the day I brought her home. Gradually she and Buddha became
aware of one another, had little skirmishes, and eventually chilled out.
Granted this is easier to do in a three-story house than it would be in a
small apartment. Buddha's box and food are on the first and Cheeks' on the
third. I prepare their feedings on the middle level, where they both watch
me and do their ritual: Cheeks sniffs at Buddha's nose and Buddha slaps at
her. (Although I catch them all the time lying two feet away fromone another
and totally ignoring each other, looks like love to me!) Then I carry one
dish upstairs and one dish down. They tend to play together on the middle
level.

The one time we had conflict was when we carried one into the other's turf.
It upset both of them, but especially the one being carried in.