Old June 13th 05, 05:48 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:35:41 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Christina Websell wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:26:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

Ooop, another '80s earworm!!! Sorry everyone. :P

Before the 80's Good Vibrations gives me an earworm for a while.
Can't you
just hear it? "Good, good, good vibrations.. Since you all seem to
have adopted my German friend N's "earworm" phrase, I
thought I had to tell you - in view of Helen hearing a nightingale,
that Nuele reported to me a few weeks ago that she had heard a
"daytingale" a nightingale singing in the daytime. She just has such
lovely phrases.

I had a German friend who always said "mouses." I loved that.

I can hardly bear to correct her when she says lovely things. Like
paving slabs are "stone plates" but she made me promise that I would.
Sometimes I don't, because it's so sweet, but she often suspects and
says "you are selfishly enjoying" and then I have to admit that I am
and come clean with the correct translation. sigh She sometimes
confounds me though. What is the difference between a road and a
street? and:
When I say I have to move out of the sun into the shadow, why do you
call it the shade? That one is still ongoing.. Any explanation
appreciated.

Tweed

I have a friend in Spain with similar tendencies. She has asked me to
correct her English but then she asks those confounded questions like
the shadow vs. the shade and the street vs. the road. Well heck, how
can you explain English other than it's an odd language (and especially
in the U.S.
a LOT of slang)?

Jill

English is a *very* odd language, I have to admit. However, I did promise
to help. We did the peculiarities in pronounciation quite early on, like
comb, bomb, womb, tomb: bough, cough, rough.

We did local slang from where I live, so she could understand my friends.
"Mardy" fretful and bad tempered. Babies are mardy if they cry a lot for
no reason, and so is a person who easily takes offence, just an example.
I must have taught her well, because when we both visited a friend in
Hamburg who had been born in England of a German mother and returned to
Germany aged 16, when we were all speaking English she said to N "You
have an accent, a Leicester one!" LOL! blush mine isn't that strong.
Anyway, she was here for the past three weeks and her Leicester accent
served her well while she travelled all over England. The remedies she
prescribed both before and after my op I'm sure helped me too, although I
don't feel so great today. I think I'm probably trying to do too much too
soon.

Tweed

My advice: Take plenty of naps. MLB