Old November 8th 05, 05:22 PM

Default Teeth falling out normal? Cat is 13.

George had his exam yesterday. We got it done at the local
university's small animal clinic. It cost $680. (* Gasp! *) I guess
cats start out with 30 teeth. George went into the exam with a dozen
or so, and came out with 7. He only has one fang left.

Several of George's teeth had "resorbed." I guess the cat's body
replaces part of the tooth material with bone. Nobody knows why.

So several teeth had "crown amputations," where the root is good but
the crown is bad, and they cut the crown off. And one tooth was
extracted because it was rotten.

Interestingly, I asked the doctor about brushing George's teeth daily,
and he thought it wasn't worthwhile. George's main problem wasn't
periodontal disease. His plaque level was "moderate." And it's
annoying to both the cat and the owner. So okay.

Well, I just thought I'd tell you-all how it came out. Expensive.
George had a lot of work done. I'm not clear what the impact is on
George's long term health.

Thanks for your concern and input. Episode over.

Regards,

Rick