Old November 23rd 03, 09:26 PM

Ava wrote:

My problem is I am tapped out
financially...spent about $2,000 on this,
didn't even pay this month's bills yet. I
don't know how much I'll get back from
the insurance company. I live on a tight
budget. I am considering the "E" word, if I
have to continue with fluids several times
a week indefinitely.(He was reshopitalized
twice before I took him to the university
vet school who advised me about the
at-home fluid therapy.)
I know that all of these cases look
different. Has anyone had a case like the
one I'm describing--that took fluids over
several weeks to stabilize? What was the
pattern after that?

Laura gave you some excellent ideas for giving fluids. The only thing I
would add to that is that an easy way to warm fluids is to put some of
the line in a bowl of hot water after you get the needle in and start
the flow. This works very well to gently warm fluids as they are being
administered and is easy to do.

As far as the future goes, there is *no* need to consider euthanizing
your cat. Feeding him on a high quality canned only diet (Wellness,
Innova and Felidae are good brands) will greatly increase his water
intake, which in turn will keep his bladder flushed and minimize the
chances that crystals will cluster and form a blockage. It is also
important that you don't free feed, instead feeding him on a schedule
(every 12 hours.) This will not only lessen his chances of having
reoccurrences, but if you pay close attention to the amount he is fed,
his extra weight will come off as well.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke