Old November 17th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default PING Shelter workers (OT, more or less)

Krista wrote:
wrote:
Krista wrote:

We have a board member who is an attorney. She reviews contracts,
advises us on liability issues. When some nutjob threatens to sue, she
writes letters and so far that issue has never gone any further. It is
amazing how much more clout a letter on attorney letterhead has. She
just generally puts out little fires and keeps us out of trouble.
We did have a big abuse case/puppy mill case that received national
media attention. She felt it was beyond her capabilities to handle
alone, and at that time we hired another attorney. He charged us a
reduced fee, but didn't do it for free.

Sherry

Ah, I hadn't thought about liability. Is there no insurance? I know
shelters operate on very slim budgets, but I have only a very general
idea of what's involved, and am otherwise completely ignorant. I've
never been involved with a shelter. We don't even *have* a shelter
here.

And I know my DH won't charge them much, if anything; in fact, we will
probably end up making a donation. ;-)

------
Krista

Yes, there is liability insurance (boy, it is expensive, too), and
workmen's comp for the employees. So far, they've paid off well.
Nothing too dreadful so far. She just kind of keeps us on our toes,
helps make sure we're not making our selves vulnerable by doing
something stupid. (Or endangering anyone unknowingly). Like, we didn't
know that there were age limits on our ins. policy for volunteers.
An attorney is a *great* asset for a shelter to have available. Even
for phone calls, for general advice in stuff like
defining/explaining/looking up specific state/local law. I *know* how
much they appreciate his expertise. Don't let them wear him out!! :-)
Sherry