Old December 26th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default HOW TO FATTEN A CAT UP(AS OPPOSED TO REDUCING ONE'S WEIGHT)

Don't buy over-the-counter preparations for parasites. They can be
ineffective and sometimes dangerous. Be sure to get the medication from
your vet.

MaryL

I will Mary.I learnt that lesson the hard way.About 10 years ago, I got
some over the counter product(I think it was Pendings kitten wormer
soloution in a bottle),& gave some to a litter of kittens that one of
our visitors kindly decided to have in our garage.I made absolutely
sure that I followed the instructions to the letter, but about 12hours
later, the kittens started dying,one by one,the whole litter of kittens
died.I called the vet, who took the remaining kitten into clinic,&
after a post mortum,she told me that they had dehydrated & starved to
death because a of a huge worm infestation.
It was a terrible thing to happen & to this day I still feel dreadful
about it & responsible too-but it did serve a as very good lesson to
me-you should never give any internal product to a kitten or cat
without consulting your vet first!!!
I still feel shamed about this story, but if my shame helps any single
person learn from my mistake, then it was worth sharing it with you..
S.