Old May 23rd 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

Default stray tomcat and interferon revolt

On May 23, 2:17*pm, wrote:
On 23 May, 04:43, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Calvin, Why don't you listen to Phil? *He probably knows more about this
than your vet.

Calvin
If Phil P told me the best treatment for a condition was to feed the
cat 20 tablets of LSD whilst adminstering 2 bottles of vodka rectally-
I'd go out and get the stuff!

He really does know what he is talking about, he's saying if your cat
currently has no symptoms then starting treatment now will help him
stay healthier longer * I work in HIV and the best time to start
treatment is when the person has no symptoms- we work on the lab tests
(CD4 and viral loads) and many a patient who feels pretty damn good
gets started on treatment based on those tests and they go on for a
long time (we have patients who have been on therapy for 20+ years and
are still fine). *Treating someone who has already got ill from HIV is
far more problematic.

Why not just try the interferon?
If the cat then shows signs of being ill then you can discuss it with
the vet even stop the treatment until you've seen the vet.
Or go back to your vet now and discuss your uneasiness about
interferon
Cats can be tougher than you think I've heard for example that
chemotherapy for cancer is a lot easier for cats than it is for Humans

I don't want to make the cat sick even once just to
find out if the interferon makes him sick or not. I
don't see any need to be hasty here. Also, it
seems reasonable to me to finish the antibiotics
first, and then we will know what effect the antibiotics
have had. If the cat gets interferon too, we won't know
which brought about the improvement, and you can
be sure everybody would claim it was the interferon.

At the very least what I am doing is providing data
on the effectiveness of antibiotics alone, and I see
clear improvement in the look and feel of the cat's
skin and fur already, even before today. So far the
cat has had the antibiotics 8 times, with 12 more
times to go, at 2 times per day.