Old May 24th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

Default stray tomcat and interferon revolt

On May 24, 2:55*am, "Phil P." wrote:
*Where* on the internet? *Post the URLs. Does the information apply
*specifically* to cats? *I think the information your read was extrapolated
from human studies.

If you want reliable information that pertains specifically to cats, read
Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook. *Plumb's is the #1 veterinary drug
handbook.

"Adverse Effects/Warnings - When used orally in cats, adverse effects have
apparently not yet been noted. When used systemically in humans, adverse
effects have included anemia, leukope*nias, thrombocytopenia,
hepatotoxicity, neurotoxicity, changes in taste sensation, anorexia,
nau*sea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, "flu-like" syndrome, transient
hypotension, skin rashes and dry mouth. Except for the "flu-like "syndrome
most adverse effects are dose related and may vary depending on the
condition treated."

"When used orally in cats, adverse effects have apparently not yet been
noted." Is that clear enough for you? *If not, see the #2 veterinary drug
handbook: "Saunders Handbook of Veterinary Drugs" by Mark Papich- Professor
of Clinical Pharmacology at NC State.

"Adverse Effects

Adverse effects have not been reported in animals. In humans, IM and SC
administration are associated with influenza-like syndrome. Many other
adverse effects have been reported in people, including bone marrow
suppression."

Now you have information from *reliable* sources. *Now what's your excuse?
If you're going to believe what you read on the internet- at least make sure
its from reliable sources and pertains to *cats*.

So are diabetes, heart disease, CRF and a list of other diseases.

I told you, tell your vet you want the IFA (immunofluorescent antibody
assay). *A positive result means the infection has reached the bone marrow
and the cat is persistently infected.

You're *still* not getting it! *The reason for giving your cat interferon is
so he *doesn't develop symptoms for a longer period of time* and may even
help your cat clear the virus. *If you wait for your cat to develop
symptoms- it will be too late- interferon won't help at that point.

You should research FeLV so you understand how the disease progresses-
because you obviously don't know what your dealing with. There are 5 stages
of the disease- You have to stop it at Stage 2 and no later than Stage 3.
Here's a brief outline:

(1) viral replication in tonsils and pharyngeal lymph nodes;
(2) infection of a few circulating B lymphocytes and macrophages that
disseminate the virus;
(3) replication in lymphoid tissues, intestinal crypt epithelial cells, and
bone marrow precursor cells;
(4) release of infected neutrophils and platelets from the bone marrow into
the circulatory system; and
(5) infection of epithelial and glandular tissues, with subsequent shedding
of virus into the saliva and urine

An adequate immune response stops progression at stage 2 or 3 and forces the
virus into latency. Persistent viremia (stages 4 and 5) usually develops 4-6
weeks after infection, but could take as long as12 weeks. You're cat could
be persistently infected but asymptomatic for weeks to months or even years-
depending on the virus subgroup.

Now do you understand what the rush is to being IFN therapy?
I asked you to post the dose and route of administration the vet wrote on
the perscription but you did not. *I'm asking you again: Post the dose in IU
and route (PO, SC, IM).

I wish you wouldn't put so much time and effort into this.
Just accept the fact that interferon treatment for this cat
is being delayed until my vet explains the risks, which
I should have asked him to do, but had not yet become
alarmed.

You can Google 'interferon feline side effects' and you
will see many hits, some of which support your claims,
and some of which support my fears.

I understand your frustration, but please remember that
you have not seen the cat. What I see is a healthy-
looking energetic affectionate cat with a huge appetite. His
unhealthy-looking skin and fur has undergone a remarkable
improvement since antibiotics were started last Tuesday.

The vet's label on the bottle of interferon, which I keep
refrigerated, says:

INTERFERON ORAL SOLUTION
GIVE 1 ML DAILY FOR 7 DAYS,
SKIP A WEEK [etc]

There is nothing more specific, either on the bottle or
on the invoice. All it says about the test is:

Leukemia/FIV test 35.50

I gave the price only in case it gives you a clue about
the kind of test done. As I said before, the cat was
kept overnight for the test and other things done
(ear treatment, de-worm, rabies shot). Normally,
for my other cats, de-worm and rabies shot are
done quickly and in my presence. But in this case
the vet didn't do anything in my presence. He
called me the next day to talk things over, but since
I had not Googled anything yet, I didn't know enough
to talk about possible side effects, quality of life, etc.