Old November 3rd 03, 08:53 PM
kaeli

In article , sh134
@adelphia.net enlightened us with...
Isthere anyway to train a 'grabby' cat? By that I mean, she will reach out
and 'grab' you with her claws when for example you pet her and then pull
your hand away. She will did her claws in and it is mega painful. This
does not happen all the times but frequently enough to be bothersome. She
may also do it if you walk past her. This is NOT a gesture of affection.
She has been doing this since we rescued her ...so, it's not something new.
Thanks. Sharon and Erzi

She's playing. Clip her claws for less damage. My Rowan loves to jump on
me, which means she grabs to hang on and climb up me, and even that
doesn't hurt too much with nicely trimmed nails. Plus, she knows "Ow!"
LOL

You can train her not to be so rough if you say "Ow" in a high-pitched
voice, then remove your attention. If she is on your lap, put her down.
Walk away from her, whatever, but don't reward it with attention. Reward
her with attention when she's good. Redirect claws to a stuffed toy if
she really enjoys using her claws to play.

My Mom's cat Louie does that dive bombing thing where you walk by and he
grabs your legs. Hard. Then he bites you. Hard. He's declawed (by
someone else; he's adopted) and he really likes to bite to play
sometimes.
When he does that, she gives him a stern NO, followed by a 3-5 minute
timeout in the bedroom. Works great. The incidences have decreased
dramatically. Now he's a lot more gentle when he tries to trip you. LOL
Might want to try that, though.

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace