Old October 8th 05, 05:58 PM
Mme. Anaïs ^..^

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:09:29 GMT, 's
little, agile paws typed:

I was a few months ago in a pet store in San Diego and we saw a
very pretty cat which we wished to adopt... except as we lived in
Winchester... too far away... so we were refused... and then we
were also asked where the cat would sleep... are these people
idiots... the cat chooses where to sleep sometimes on the bed,
sometimes underneath the bed, sometimes on the sofa, sometimes
in the sink, sometimes just anywhere.

Axel

I don't know if "shelter folks" are simply out of the sanity loop or
don't have real lives beyond their "hobby".

When I went looking for my cat I too thought it would be wonderful to
adopt a homeless kitty, and emailed or telephoned 5 shelters. In ten
days I heard nothing, so I tried another 5; then another two. After
three weeks I had not one response; I telephoned the nearest one, and
some belligerent a**hole (returning my call days later) lectured me
about how they were dedicated volunteers with little time, blah blah
and how dare I annoy them with my petty concerns; she *never* got back
to me! The other three (out of 12) that contacted me all sent me long,
intrusive applications (weeks later) asking inane questions, making
obtrusive demands as if I were obtaining FBI clearance (attach copies
of your last three paychecks, credit card statements, provide three
references, arrange an inspection of your home and a personal
interview, ad infinitum) before even letting me see their cats.

Inasmuch as I had been attending cat shows while waiting, I simply
said "f*ck this" to the shelters (not that they know, since *not one*
ever followed up), since I began to realize that I had been dealing
with folks that were not quite all there. I began to speak with
exhibitor/breeders at the cat shows, almost all of whom were friendly,
open and invited me to their homes to see and handle their cats. In
three weeks, I chose a wonderful breeder, from whom I finally bought
Anaïs. That breeder has given me huge chunks of her time to show me
(hands on) everything from daily grooming, nail clipping, bathing &
blow-drying her and the like, and for the past two years, has *always*
been there to answer any and all of my questions. In addition, Anaïs
is happy, healthy and in two years has *never* given me a problem -
not even hurked a hairball!

Further - since she willingly gave me their names - I was able to
meet others who had bought her cats and ask questions about them being
healthy, well-adjusted and happy cats (they were).Many were at cat
shows being shown, and I could see and hold them.

You'll have this cat for 15 years; so my suggestion is to go to CFA
cat shows (they have a web-site) and meet the breeders and look at the
cats. Sure they're more costly than shelter cats, but at least you
will be treated with respect, and know that you are buying a strong,
healthy cat without behavior problems - as your companion.

--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs
10/8/2005 12:30:47 PM