Old January 30th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Low-phosphorus cat food

John Doe wrote:

"Steve Crane" eodemolay cox.net wrote:
Actually I doubt the information is all that good. Unless you can
match the analyticals to the same manufacturing location and the
same lot of pet food. Any expectation that nutrient values in
grocery store foods will be the same from one lot to another is
pretty much wishful thinking. That is not the goal - or even a
last place sub-goal of foods manufactured for this market channel.
It shouldn't be at all surprising that you would get three or four
or different sets of values. It would not surprise me at all to
find an analysis of 3 different lots of precisely the same food
that have a variation in nutrients by more than 50% from the
highest to the lowest.

If you have any citations for that, I would like to see them.

You can cite me. I just posted that I asked way more than three times
for the phosphorus levels and received more than three different
replies. Why? It's all a bit of a joke, apparently. There is no
consistant monitoring except at a very crude level for these Fancy
Feast and comparable products. I cannot trust them now except not to
make poisonous food. Whoppee.

I'm talking about a citation to a study.

Like is there a PubMed for animals?

PubMed includes quite a few veterinarian or animal studies.

There are veterinarian resources that you can try. Someone might have
run a study. I don't know if cat food makers are obligated to really
put out the phosphorus levels. I kind of doubt it for the mass
supermarket since most of the manufacturers I call just laugh at me
when I ask for calcium and phosphorus levels. I could look up whether
the phosphorus levels have much to do with the AAFCO or official cat
food requirements. I doubt it since most of the mass foods are super
high in phosphorus. Science Diet is an exception. Royal Canin and Iams
may also be exceptions. But these are not supermarket companies
although I see Iams and am not sure about that company. I did get a lot
of info from Science Diet and Royal Canin. I get almost zip from
Purina/Nestle. mostly talking heads, nice people, but clueless as a
rule. And I get absolutely zip from the vets on the staff at
Purina/Nestle. Nothing. Not a single answer as to what they are putting
into their foods, well, the phosphorus levels. Nothing.

And the subject is not necessarily one that scientists conduct studies
of. But I do not know since I am not yet motivated to search. Since the
poster works for Science Diet and is thus part of the industry, he
might have a valid point. Of course, others will say he is biased. But
that may be part of the package. In any case, his explanation dovetails
why I have had so much trouble finding out information from these
manufacturers. And in Purina/Nestle's case, the information was often
different. Now I know why. Either someone is not terribly compentent or
the info changes from batch to batch or no one really cares all that
much. In any case, red flags are raised. If someone cannot be bothered
to answer a question easily, then it could be that the question is not
really important to that company. Nestle does not have a great
reputation for consideration in this regard - although the deaths of
the infants in Africa might incline them now to be a tad more socially
responsible. That was about pushing a substitute for mother's milk that
was not sufficient for life [i forget why, contained soy and/or just
not able to support life as natural breast milk]? A corporation that
big and ruthless is not going to be all that motivated about little
pussy cats and their phosphorus levels.

The end of your posts have an awful lot of info attached to them. Is
that a function of webtv or can you trim that info? I trim your info
here but maybe it's a function of your news program. Something like
under Options, turn off Detailed Info? But with webtv, it may not be
under your control at all? On my other newsreaders, there's a slot for
turning off HTML which does the same sort of thing, except in that
case, it's adding HTML code at the end instead of information. I got
it. It's the Headers in a way, giving out where your, what do you call
it, the train, the tracking, I don't recall the exact words, but it
tracks your internet addressing and routes.