Old September 17th 13, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default When walking back (OT)

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

m...

jmcquown wrote:
On 9/14/2013 2:49 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Case in point: "Lady Day" (jazz singer Billy Holiday). But she was
far from the only jazz musician who started with marijuana, then
graduated to the hard stuff.

Janis Joplin, Hendrix, yada yada yada. How about people you know?
Did
you ever meet someone who was suddenly a drug addict because they
smoked
pot?

SFAIK, I never knew anyone who smoked pot! (Except for professional
jazz
musicians, my generation just didn't.)

I suspect you and I may be in the same generation. When I was in high
school, I went to school one day to find the whole campus buzzing. A
surprise search of gym lockers had found some pot in one of them.
Everybody
in the school was shocked.

Joy,

You're in the same generation as my parents (my dad was born in 1933, and
mom in '34). I remember in the early 70s when everyone was concerned about
kids taking drugs, my dad said that when he was young, the only people who
smoked it (in the US) were urban black jazz musicians, and they'd pull the
shades down first. I can only assume he was talking about the 40s or early
50s. By the 60s, marijuana and some other drugs (eg, LSD) had become
popular with white, middle-class teenagers and young adults. When harder
drugs hit the suburbs, suddenly we had a crisis on our hands, but people
in inner cities had been using drugs like heroin for years.

--
Joyce

He spent one-third of the time telling me about the musical he was writing
about raccoons, one-third of the time talking about C++, and one-third of
the time demonstrating the plot of Othello using the salt and pepper
shakers.
-- A Treasury of the World's Worst Online Dating Stories

You're right about my generation. I was born in '35.

Joy