Old September 17th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default When walking back (OT)

On 9/16/2013 6:47 PM, Bastette wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Again, it depends on the drug. I don't believe marijuana is addictive.

Neither is alcohol (in theory) but that doesn't prevent an awful lot of
people being addicted to it!

Alcohol has far more addictive properties than marijuana. Alcoholics develop
a tolerance to the drug and then require more and more to achieve the same
effect. Their body becomes dependent on it and withdrawing is a difficult
phase of becoming sober.

The DT's (delirium tremens) are a *very* physical withdrawal symptom.

I don't think marijuana has any of those properties,
on either the chemical or biological level. However, it's true that some
people get psychologically dependent to it. They might appear to be similar
to alcoholics, but technically, they're different issues.

I agree. I didn't have any trouble giving up marijuana. Would I try it
again if offered? Quite possibly. I know from experience even if I
enjoyed it, I can easily walk away from it. BTDT.

I think alcoholism may be genetic. My dad's father was an alcoholic.
(This was a grandfather I rarely saw. Dad's parents divorced during
WWII while Dad was in the South Pacific. Grandpa moved to Washington
State.)

My dad was an alcoholic and so were his two brothers, one older, one
younger.

Fortunately, Dad quit drinking in 1976. We never knew why he suddenly
decided to quit. He just came home one day and told Mom he was giving
up drinking. I suspect he had some near-miss that really shook him. I
can't tell you the number of times Mom was called to come pick him up at
some bar.

After he stopped drinking he craved sugar and caffeine. He insisted on
having candy (mostly M&M's) or other sweets in the house. I suspect
this is why AA meetings have coffee and doughnuts. It's not simply to
be hospitable.

Dad did "fall off the wagon" when his older brother died at around age
60. He flew there for the funeral. Then he disappeared for three days.
He'd gone on a "bender". He quit drinking again once he got home.

Jill