Old September 29th 03, 04:04 PM
Yngver

MaryL" AKE-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

What in the world is he talking about??? Richard Spikard claims (in the
letter Megan posted, below) that "responsible cat owners who decide to
declaw their pets consult with their veterinarians, and in most cases, the
decision is made either because of medical necessity arising from tumors or
chronic infections or to save the life of the cat." I have never heard such
ridiculous assertions in my life. Even the most ardent supporters of
declawing don't usually make claims about "tumors" or "chronic infections."
Almost all declawing is done exclusively for the convenience of the person,
not for the protection of the cat. He also brings up the old canard about
laser surgery somehow being a "safe alternative" because "cats experience
minimal discomfort" (his words). He ignores the fact that this is still
amputation.

Thanks for posting the article.

You are right, this one takes the cake in terms of inaccuracies about
declawing. Wonder where he gets the idea that very few domestic cats are
declawed, and that complications with routine declawing are rare. Statistically
both statements are not true.