Old June 1st 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

Default Persia Update - Thyroid Check

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The
vet is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is
about 12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Unfortunately, she threw up in her carrier on the way home. I think she
gets herself so worked up (what with constantly yowling) it makes her sick
to her stomach. I've figured out how to tell when she's going to get
sick. It's a different sound than I normally hear if, say, she's about to
hork up a hairball. She's still crying, but in a very low, gutteral voice
she says, "Meow-ma. Meow-Ma! MEOW-MA!" It's like she's saying, "Get me
out of here! I'm going to be sick!" Unfortunately there's not a heck of a
lot I can do in a moving car going 50 MPH on a busy but only 2-lane
highway

When we got home I rushed her [carrier] into the bathroom. I learned my
lesson the last time, I ran to the one *without* the litterbox! This
time, though, I was able to just use a damp washcloth and only had to wipe
off her paws. Somehow for the remainder of the ride home she managed to
scrunch herself up into a tiny (heh) ball to avoid the vomit. She just
had a little bit on her paws from where she was anxious to jump out when I
unzipped the top. And she was *very* good about letting me wipe off her
paws.

I took the carrier outside, unzipped the side and stuck a hose in from the
top opening and rinsed it all out. Then I wiped it down well with
disinfectant wipes. (No, I'm not worried about using them. She won't be
in the carrier again for quite a long time.)

Sherpa bags are very nice but it's too bad the carrying handles are
tricked out with leather. It would be great to be able to just throw it
in the washer. At least it's made of flexible mesh and the bottom panel
is covered with vinyl. The fleece liner is washable. But apparently she
scrunched that back in the corner when she knew she was going to get sick.
Not a drop on it! What a smart girl!

Jill

That is wonderful news Jill, except the throwing up part. You and Persia
were so stressed out for a long time over this epidsode and now it looks to
be over with a happy ending!

When I feel nauseous I need lots of fresh air-I'm wondering if Persia would
do better with more cool air moving around. Probably wouldn't make a
difference, and it's my guess that you make her as comfortable as possible
with the car air-conditioner. When I had pets in the car in warm weather I
aim all the vents at them-I'm betting that is universal.
Karla
Karla