Old June 1st 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Persia Update - Thyroid Check

wrote in message
MLB wrote:

using the washing machine -- makes me wonder "why not"?
Would it
really damage the leather that much" Cows and horses don't seem
shrink in the rain LOL, Wondering? Purrs for Persia's
wellbeing. MLB

GMTA! I always thought the reason you don't wash leather is
because
water will stain it. But I didn't think it would actually damage it
to the
point of it disintegrating. Who cares if the handles are water
stained?
I'd think it was worth it to be able to chuck a puked-on carrier
into the
washer.

Joyce

My only "experience" with washing leather comes from leather clothing
and accessories. Rain will spot leather coats. it won't destroy
them, but they won't look good after they get wet. If you have ever
had leather shoes get wet, you will remember that after they dry
there will be what looks like salt on the surface. They won't be
smooth and slick anymore.

Charlie doesn't go fishing very often. Mostly because he has a bit
of a reputation for falling in the river so he doesn't get invited
anymore. So we have learned that leather wallets might still be
useable after a soaking, but they lose their elasticity. They get
kind of stiff.

The problem isn't with the cow's skin, which after all kept the cow
protected all its life, but in the processes that are used to turn
that stiff rough cow hide into tanned leather. Water messes with the
finishes and dyes etc. Also in the process of getting leather wet
and re drying it, you are very likely to damage the threads used to
assemble the leather object.

Jo