Old May 8th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Could I move to Scotland?!

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Sat, 6 May 2006 17:14:19 +0000 (UTC), Cheryl Perkins
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

Well, I swear, I was there twice and felt cold all the time. Maybe
the temperature seems moderate, but it feels cold. I'm not from a
tropical climate. It is also dark and damp many days out of the
year, which makes it seem colder-- not a lot of sunshine, overall.
Finally, until fairly recently, people in the British Isles simply
did not have the same notions about heating their dwellings as
Americans do, so it was cold indoors, too. Not, of course, if you
wore a sweater (or two), but who wants to wear a sweater all the
time?

Oh, I believe you. And you'd probably find it cold in Newfoundland,
too.

I think the fact that when I read your last sentence, I wondered
what was wrong with wearing a sweater all the time? Or, at the very
least, rarely leaving home without a sweater or sweatshirt in the
backpack. I think that shows that different people experience the
same climate differently.

Well, I know a lot of people say "There is no bad weather, only bad
clothing." But I just hate the feeling of wearing heavy clothing,
layers, being bundled up. I hate it. Summer, no matter how nasty-hot
it gets, is always better than winter for me. It may be as
uncomfortably hot as winter is uncomfortably cold, but the difference
for me is that in the summer, I can be in a t-shirt, shorts and
flip-flops. I'd rather die of heat dressed like that than freeze (or
sweat to death) swaddled in layers. The best day of the year for me
is the first one I leave off my socks. The saddest one is when I put
socks and closed shoes back on.

I used to think that, when we lived in Canada. Oh how I yearned for
summer each year! I also hated being bundled up, shoes, socks all that
stuff. Then we moved to Thailand. O. M. G.
I will never yearn for heat again. Ever. It is *way* worse to be
wearing as little as humanly decent and still be sweating buckets. It
is incredibly draining to be hot all the time. It's depressing to start
to fear the sun, to feel locked into your airconditioned house because
it's too damn hot outside. To have a lovely yard that you never step
foot in because it's too hot.
After 5 years of that, all I can say is hallelujah, it's over!
Even though moving to Australia at the start of winter is probably
making the transition a bit harder than it would have been. And I'm
freezing cold in the evenings and mornings and drink copious quantities
of hot tea and have a chair in front of my heater. And I'm bundled up
even indoors (I even bought some of those Aussie sheepskin booties!).
But you know what? I've finally got *energy*. I'm not sluggish
anymore, I can get out of my chair without groaning! I've been zooming
around all day long since I've been here and not stopping till bedtime
and it's *wonderful* :-)
Mind you, I still think it will be nice when spring comes. I've yet to
experience a summer here, but from what I hear it's a lot cooler down
here than in Perth. At least it wouldn't be nearly as humid as in
Thailand and you'd know there was an end in sight! My favourite temps
are low to mid 20's.

I also have SAD, seasonal affective disorder, and get depressed
promptly as we turn the clock back in the fall. I hate darkness and
short days.

Dennis has that, badly. It was the worst in the winter we lived in
Yellowknife. Only 3-4 hours of daylight just about killed him.
Vancouver was bad for him too, too many overcast and rainy days. He was
fine growing up in Calgary. Even though it gets much colder there, it's
much sunnier. He never had a problem with it in Thailand either,
obviously. I think he'll be all right here, it's much sunnier than
western Canada.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness