Old May 8th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Jo

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jo Firey wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jo Firey wrote:
"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 May 2006 21:55:19 -0500, William Hamblen
wrote:

On 07 May 2006 02:37:01 GMT, wrote:

I've heard this before, but I don't know why we have lost
honeybees.

Bee mites.

and pesticides being used unwisely

and people destroying hives out of fear of Africanized honeybees
(in
some parts of the USA)

But mostly, as Bill said, bee mites (varroa)

Tish

A lot of the bees that are shipped around the country are raised
around
here. Bee Keepers are very careful to keep their hives isolated from
wild
bees. There is a fantastic market for enough bees to start a hive.
used
to run into the bee guy at the post office all the time sending his
little
packages off.

Jo

Where is that guy, Jo? DH was able to order two hives this spring, but
last there there was a shortage and he wasn't able to get any. He had
varroa mites and lost a whole hive. People are freaking out about wild
hives now. If there's a nuisance hive they used to call him to come
get
them. Now they call exterminators.

Sherry

Try here

http://tinyurl.com/komog

And particularly here

http://tinyurl.com/kcrzt

Jo

I should have stayed out of this conversation. There is now a swarm of
bees
in my front yard. And I doubt I'll find anyone to come after them on a
Sunday morning.

Jo

They won't sting you unless they're just mean. Some are, but most
aren't. Bees die after they sting, so they don't sting for no reason.
Be careful how you dress though! I bought a big floppy red hat and I
can't wear it outside, the bees swarm me. They think I am a big giant
flower.
Good luck getting someone to get them.

Sherry

Well, we got our former neighbor and old friend who keeps bees to come
collect the swarm. Nice for everyone all around and a chance to visit to
boot.

Still need to check the tree to be sure the stragglers are gone.

Jo