Old February 18th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Some kind of attack

altheim wrote:
"-L." wrote:
wrote:

Nope, but as others have said, it's definitely vet time.

One of my cats had seizures, which I did not recognize as such. But
when I described the symptoms to my vet, she said, "I'm quite sure she
was having a seizure." And, one of the times I had that particular cat
at the vet, she exhibited the symptoms in the examining room. Vet
therefore witnessed it & confirmed "Seizure."

Just out of curiousity, what were her symptoms? I have seen some weird
seizure symptoms...

I'm not quite sure what is meant by 'seizure'. It could mean
anything, yet the Op above, writes it 'Seizure' - in uppercase -
like it means something specific. I'd be sceptical of any vet
who said that. I'd want an explanation.

Anyway, the symptom that stands out in my mind is that
her legs seem to give way - she falls over - and that is
when she begins howling. I wonder if it could be fear
rather than pain? There's no frothing at the mouth, no sign
of breathlessness or anything like that, and it only lasts a
few seconds.

--
altheim

You need to read up on seizures. They come in all sizes and styles. You
are confusing grand mal with petit mal seizures or what you see on the
idiot tube as seizures. Many seizures do not have frothing at the
mouth. And there is not breathlessness either. Where do you get these
ideas? From TV? Please take the time to read up any basic level text on
seizures. I had a cat with seizures and there was never ever any
frothing or breathlessness --- and the treatment is dirt cheap, usually
phenobarbital for cats, not Dilantin which is for dogs, but
phenobarbital. There are more modern medicines but these will do. You
need to remind the vets of this - most vets in my experience do not
know much at all about cats and brains. But it helps to uncover the
cause of seizures, or spells or whatever your cat is undergoing. And
this will take work on your part. Asking in a newsgroup at this point
is sad. But most vets won't have a clue either. So I feel badly for all
concerned. If you can afford it, an x-ray of the skull is usually the
place to start. An MRI is better but? You are looking for an injury as
a start. If not injury, then I don't know what would be the cause,
maybe a tumor? You will need an extremely intelligent vet. There are
vets who specialize in neurology, usually in vet schools. But even the
best vet schools may not have a neurology professor vet. So ask. Do you
have the interest and money to check this out? Sometimes they will take
in the feline and treat for a reduced cost to show the young and quite
inexperienced and clueless student vets. This is painful to watch but
part of the process.