Old September 1st 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Default cat flu: kitten

If you have a mist humidifier you could run that in a small area and put
kitty in there. You could also run the shower (straight hot water) and steam
up the bathroom and put him in there. Take a warm wash cloth and gently
clean the goop from his eyes and nose as best you can. DO NOT GIVE THE
KITTEN MILK. Many cats are lactose intolerant and you could give the kitty
diarrhea. He does need to eat though. If he can't smell the food he won't
eat it on his own. Warm up some wet kitten food or onion free baby meats in
the microwave. Warm food has more smell and if you can get the kitten's nose
open he might eat a little. You could pick up a syringe feeder at the pet
store and see if you can squirt some food into kitty's mouth. Be very
careful that the cat doesn't inhale any food or liquids or you could end up
with aspiration pneumonia.

Do a web search for "vet bill assistance". There are groups around who will
help with vet bills for those who can't afford it. This cat realllllllllllly
needs to see a vet. He needs to be on an antibiotic and eye ointment at the
very least. Because he's already gone 4 days not eating (or drinking I
assume) adequately he might be dehydrated and need sub q fluids. Dehydration
can kill a kitten very quickly. If you can't find assistance online, call
the local shelter and see if they know of any help available or low cost
clinic in your area. Call the vet and see if you can work out a payment
plan. Pussy eyes means an infection. Without any treatment it *could* lead
to a ruptured globe. The longer the URI is allowed to go on the better the
chances of permanent damage that will leave you with a chronic snuffler if
the cat does manage to fight this off himself.

Good luck and please don't just sit there doing nothing. You took on the
responsibility of this live, breathing animal. You have to be proactive and
not just sit there saying "I can't"

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone. I'm new to this, so please go easy on the complants. I
have a little kitten and he's only like 3 mo old. He's having a hard
time breathing, he's beginning to drool, doesn't want to eat, and his
left eye is covered in puss. My boyfriend and I tried to force him to
drink tiny amounts of milk at a time, and tried to get him to eat.
We've had this problem for about 4 days. Right now he is sleeping....
but I really want to get him to the vet; the only problem is I don't
have enough money for the bills right now and no transportation. I
would get him some medication but like I said before, I don't really
have any way to right now. My boyfriend held some Noxzema (acne med) up
to his nose so he could clear his nasal congestion, so at least now he
can close his mouth. Can anyone give me some advice of how I can treat
my cat with this problem (possibly w/out a vet)?