Old April 7th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

Default Blocked Tear Duct

Looking for help for my Maine Coon's newest problem - a blocked tear
duct in one eye. A reddish brown discharge comes with it. When it
first started a couple of weeks ago my vet had me do hot compresses 3
times a day and use an antibiotic ointment. It cleared up right
away. It had been red, swollen and sometimes teared. He said this
was common in Maine Coons because of their short nose.

After a couple days, it came back. I am doing the warm compresses
daily and not the ointment - he hated that. Is there a prevention for
this? What causes it to happen all of a sudden in a 6 year old indoor
cat?
Thanks!