Old April 8th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
yepp

Default Blocked Tear Duct

On Apr 7, 5:50*pm, Sharon wrote:
Looking for help for my Maine Coon's newest problem - a blocked tear
duct in one eye. *A reddish brown discharge comes with it. *When it
first started a couple of weeks ago my vet had me do hot compresses 3
times a day and use an antibiotic ointment. *It cleared up right
away. *It had been red, swollen and sometimes teared. *He said this
was common in Maine Coons because of their short nose.

After a couple days, it came back. *I am doing the warm compresses
daily and not the ointment - he hated that. *Is there a prevention for
this? *What causes it to happen all of a sudden in a 6 year old indoor
cat?
Thanks!

So sorry Sharon. I had this problem with Casey, my Himalayan. The
vet prescribed a gel to put on the eye lid rim, which I did for
weeks. He also was given some eye drops. I forget what the names
were of these prescriptions. The vet said both his tear ducts were
non-existenet. None at all! This was when he was only a kitten
though. The vet also wanted to perform an operation to open them up.
It was expensive and I didn't go for it. As Casey got older, the eye
problems lessened and lessened. Since your cat is already 6 years
old, I would probably go to another vet and get a 2nd opinion or
treatment option. Good luck!