Old June 2nd 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default I gave away my cats, I'm heartbroken

On Jun 1, 7:39 pm, 223rem wrote:
I will be moving from a house in a suburban/semi-rural area to an
apartment in a big metropolis. Now my cats can go out whenever they
want and in fact they spend more time outdoors than indoors. They love
to roam, climb trees, hunt, etc. They'd probably go nuts if confined
in an apartment.

To my surprise, my landlord, who always pets my cats when he rans into
them, offered to take my cats and 'give them a good home' in a barn on
his 50 acre farm. They'll probably become "barn cats"! This guy is a
honorable man, he's proven that many times, so he'll keep his promise.

Well, I accepted his offer, and now I'm extremely sad... Was I wrong?
What would you have done in my place?

Well, since you asked, no, I would not have done what you did. I would
have
first given the cats a chance to adjust to the new apartment, and if
they didn't (most of
them do)....then I'd have looked at homing them to another indoor-
outdoor place.
I have to tell you, Mother Nature is hard on barn cats.
Also, I hope that you clarified the definition of "giving them a good
home as a
barn cat." Some people are under the impression that barn cats are
completely
self-reliant, and that's just not true. They still ahve to be fed
daily, and have
fresh water daily. They still get sick and have to be vetted.
I don't mean to sound critical, but it just makes me sad that you
couldn't find
a way to keep them. I do hope they make out okay.

Sherry