Old June 2nd 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Default I gave away my cats, I'm heartbroken

223rem wrote:

To my surprise, my landlord, who always pets my cats when he rans into
them, offered to take my cats and 'give them a good home' in a barn on
his 50 acre farm. They'll probably become "barn cats"! This guy is a
honorable man, he's proven that many times, so he'll keep his promise.

If your cats are used to getting fed by you, and having access to indoor
comforts and attention to their health, they won't do very well as barn
cats. Will he feed them daily - twice daily as they are used to? What
happens in winter? Will he make sure they are free of fleas, wormed,
taken to the vet if they get hurt? It sounds unlikely to me, if he is
takiing them as barn cats and not pets. His intentions are well-meaning,
but I think it's going to be very tough on your guys.
Most so-called barn cats are already semi-feral, which yours aren't. As
others have said, it's a hard life, and I personally think you should
get your cats back and take them with you. Yes, they will be wanting to
go out badly at first in the new place, but you must be firm and not
give in - they will adapt in time, and if you give them lots of
attention and active play, they will be fine. You can give them climbing
space by getting big cat climbing trees for them, and stimulate the
hunting response with lots of play. Does the new apartment allow pets?

Just my 2p-worth -

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com