Old September 9th 03, 02:52 PM
Pete G. Wilcox

In article ,
Marek Williams wrote:

Has anyone ever run into a cat that never meows?

There is a stray I am in the process of adopting. When I started with
him he was semi-feral. He wouldn't let anyone get close enough to
touch him. If anyone was successful in touching him he hissed at them
and lashed out with claws and mouth.

After a month of playing the cat-whisperer, I have gotten him to the
point where he loves to have me pet him, rub his ears, and talk to
him. He comes running, tail in the air, as soon as he sees me coming.
He's actually starting to act just like a cat. I have a ways to go,
and there are other worries -- like when I get him to my house will he
understand about litter boxes and such. No way to tell yet.

In the meantime, I am curious because he never meows. He's been around
the neighborhood for several years, and no one has ever heard him
meow. He doesn't even try. His sole vocal ability seems to be hissing
and purring. If he lost his voice at some time, I would think he would
still make the attempt, even if nothing came out. He doesn't growl
either. I've never heard of a mute cat. Has anyone else?

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Our family's first cat Peanut (female) meowed rarely..aside from meowing
to let us know that it was time to eat OR if she wanted to be let
outside. Shortly after her passing we got Ted (now also gone) from the
local SPCA/animal shelter. He had a meow for everything! He reminded
me of those people that just like to hear themselves talk? LOL! Anyway
great cat..sadly missed.

PGW