Old June 3rd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] fridge life of cooked mushrooms?

I learned my lesson also growing up. MY MOTHER was the type to keep food
for weeks after expiration date. Here words were always oh it is still good
even though the date was months out.
I got food poisoning so many times growing up and eating at her house that
it got to the point when we ate there I demanded to see the box or cans that
she cooked and if they were out of date more than a couple days. Which some
foods are still good after the dates for a certain period of time I know
that. I used to take whole prepared meals and dump them in the garbage in
front of all her guest to there amazement till I told them they were about
to eat food prepared from cans that were out of date on this date.
I love my mother to death who is actually still alive and kicking she
lives with me and DW. She has her own apartment that was built special to
the house. I still go into her food areas and find out of date products
which I throw away she still will go into the garbage and gets them out.(
Must be from when the depression happened or us being poor Kentucky
hillbilly when she grew up). I tried to solve the problem by taking her and
my daughter who does the same thing sat them down and took a hammer to the
food and told them both I would commit them both if they did not stop. They
still do it ( they know better according to them ) and I still take a hammer
to the food and throw it away. Any food that sits for more than 5 days in
the fridge unless it is vacuum sealed and frozen gets dumped and trashed in
MY house. They don't like it eat it I tell them.
I truly got sick and tired of having Montezuma's revenge on a monthly
basis. I have a strong system but the porcelain god is not one I like to
worship any more specially since I don't drink any type of alcohol anymore

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
About a week ago we added sauteed green onions and mushrooms, as well
as grilled bell peppers and zucchini, to spaghetti sauce (the kind in
a plastic jar).

I was thinking that with no meat, it would still be good, but someone
told me that mushrooms go bad in 2-3 days.

Thoughts? Do I need to toss all that sauce?

Dunno, It's up to you. I don't keep these meals-type-of thingies in my
fridge for more than 3-4 days. Cheese is fine for ages.
I tend to freeze meals/sauce leftovers.
I think you need to toss it, Monique, there is no way I would eat a meal
that had been in my fridge for a week. It would go to the chickens. 3
days is max for me.
I had an awful experience with a two day old prawn which I would not like
to repeat. Ever.

Tweed