Old October 8th 03, 06:09 AM
Hopitus2

Purrs and meatloaf meditations beaming up for Meg from here for her quick
recovery.

"Marina" wrote in message
: Kate posted this on Catslaves. We are sending many purrs for Meg to
recover
: soon and completely.
:
: Kate_Dunn wrote:
: I have been unable to post to r.p.c.a. through google today, so
: please could someone pass on my request to the group. I will try to
: login via my ISPs news server tonight, but we could do with the purrs
: asap.
:
: Meg, our 6 year old ginger female, is currently in the local animal
: hospital.
:
: Thursday last week, she started throwing up froth. At first we
: thought she'd just been eating grass, and assumed it would sort
: itself out.
:
: Friday she appeared to be back to her normal self, eating and
: drinking as normal and no more throwing up.
:
: Overnight on Friday she was ill again, and when we got up on Saturday
: morning she was sat hunched up looking miserable at her waterbowl.
: So we took her along to the vet as soon as they opened on the
: Saturday morning. The vet checked her over, no temperature, so he
: thought it was probably a blade of grass stuck in her throat, and
: recommended that she go to the hospital for an anaesthetic and they
: would check it.
:
: Saturday afternoon, we picked her up from the hospital following the
: anaesthetic. They hadn't found anything, so they prescribed her some
: bland diet, and told us to monitor how she went.
:
: She was fairly groggy, and was dribbling a little bit, but we thought
: this was due to the anaesthetic. She didn't eat anything that
: evening, but we'd been told she probably wouldn't for 24hrs after the
: anaesthetic so we didn't worry.
:
: On Sunday, she started to have problems drinking - she didn't seem
: able to lap from her bowl, but she could drink if we ran the tap. We
: thought perhaps her throat was a bit sore from the air tube during
: the anaesthetic. Other than that she was okay in herself, running
: around and purring when stroked. She still wasn't eating, but we
: thought that too might be throat related.
:
: By Monday (yesterday) it was obvious she wasn't well. She was
: sitting in the sink desperately wanting water, but now not even able
: to drink it from the flowing tap. She had also develped very bad
: breath.
:
: We took her back to the vet, and they examined her again. Her
: temperature was still normal. But, when they checked her mouth, they
: discovered she had ulcers on her gums and tongue.
:
: She was admitted to the animal hospital, and put on a drip, given
: antibiotics for the ulcers and they did blood tests.
:
: The vet phoned later on Monday to say that they had the blood test
: results, and that it looks like she has kidney disease.
:
: Because she is a young cat, they are going to redo the tests when she
: is fully re-hydrated, as that may have affected the result.
:
: I've spoken to the hospital today, and she is okay in herself, alert
: and interested in what is going on around her. She is still on a
: drip, and they are feeding her via syringe while she still has the
: ulcers.
:
: They are redoing the blood tests tomorrow. So, please can everyone
: purr and pray for her that the kidney levels are down when they do
: the tests tomorrow, and that it doesn't turn out to be kidney
: disease. She's only 6, so seems too young.
:
: Thanks,
: Kate.
:
: --
: Marina, Frank and Nikki
: marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
: