Old October 8th 03, 06:05 AM
Gizela

Purrs for Meg and her carers.....fingers crossed that the second blood test
shows better news

Angela and Gizmo

"Marina" wrote in message
Kate posted this on Catslaves. We are sending many purrs for Meg to

recover
soon and completely.

Kate_Dunn wrote:
I have been unable to post to r.p.c.a. through google today, so
please could someone pass on my request to the group. I will try to
login via my ISPs news server tonight, but we could do with the purrs
asap.

Meg, our 6 year old ginger female, is currently in the local animal
hospital.

Thursday last week, she started throwing up froth. At first we
thought she'd just been eating grass, and assumed it would sort
itself out.

Friday she appeared to be back to her normal self, eating and
drinking as normal and no more throwing up.

Overnight on Friday she was ill again, and when we got up on Saturday
morning she was sat hunched up looking miserable at her waterbowl.
So we took her along to the vet as soon as they opened on the
Saturday morning. The vet checked her over, no temperature, so he
thought it was probably a blade of grass stuck in her throat, and
recommended that she go to the hospital for an anaesthetic and they
would check it.

Saturday afternoon, we picked her up from the hospital following the
anaesthetic. They hadn't found anything, so they prescribed her some
bland diet, and told us to monitor how she went.

She was fairly groggy, and was dribbling a little bit, but we thought
this was due to the anaesthetic. She didn't eat anything that
evening, but we'd been told she probably wouldn't for 24hrs after the
anaesthetic so we didn't worry.

On Sunday, she started to have problems drinking - she didn't seem
able to lap from her bowl, but she could drink if we ran the tap. We
thought perhaps her throat was a bit sore from the air tube during
the anaesthetic. Other than that she was okay in herself, running
around and purring when stroked. She still wasn't eating, but we
thought that too might be throat related.

By Monday (yesterday) it was obvious she wasn't well. She was
sitting in the sink desperately wanting water, but now not even able
to drink it from the flowing tap. She had also develped very bad
breath.

We took her back to the vet, and they examined her again. Her
temperature was still normal. But, when they checked her mouth, they
discovered she had ulcers on her gums and tongue.

She was admitted to the animal hospital, and put on a drip, given
antibiotics for the ulcers and they did blood tests.

The vet phoned later on Monday to say that they had the blood test
results, and that it looks like she has kidney disease.

Because she is a young cat, they are going to redo the tests when she
is fully re-hydrated, as that may have affected the result.

I've spoken to the hospital today, and she is okay in herself, alert
and interested in what is going on around her. She is still on a
drip, and they are feeding her via syringe while she still has the
ulcers.

They are redoing the blood tests tomorrow. So, please can everyone
purr and pray for her that the kidney levels are down when they do
the tests tomorrow, and that it doesn't turn out to be kidney
disease. She's only 6, so seems too young.

Thanks,
Kate.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki