Old February 13th 04, 05:27 PM
NEM

Cheryl wrote in message ...
NEM wrote in om on 11 Feb
2004:

We don't want to force the cat to interact with him, but it would be
nice to be able to have him upstairs sometimes. Does anyone have any
ideas? I'd like to classically condition it, so she develops a
positive association with his presence, but I can't think of anything
motivating (she's too freaked out to tolerate the things she normally
loves, like petting and fetching toys).

I don't have a dog, but have friends who do. I can see how they can be
intimidating to a timid cat. How about a harness for the dog? Maybe try
to get the kitty used to one, as well? Dogs can tolerate being tethered
better than cats which is why I say ease into it with the cat. Let them be
in each others presense briefly while both, or one, is tethered. Is the
dog kennel trained? If so, can you try to get the cat around the dog while
he's kenneled? I have a feral who was in a cage while being socialized and
my other cats got to know her while she was caged and no one was
intimidated. It would be good to find a treat that your cat will eat; it
works wonders. My feral sounds a lot like your cat and can't be bribed
with anything other than Wysong Cat treats. One of my other cats doesn't
like any treats or meat but loves raw chicken liver. These are "treats" to
[reward] enforce [good/desirable] behavior.

Thanks, Cheryl. We have tried tethering (the dog, that is); even
holding the cat in our arms is too overwhelming to her. When he's
crated, she still hisses from a distance, which causes him to bark,
which causes her to retreat behind the radiator for hours. I will
try the Wysong treats and the livers; I had minor success with
freeze-dried chicken breast, but she now sees through that little
scheme. (She's a smart little @#$%!)

We're going to get much more systematic about having controlled
periods with both in the same room, but we need to find something
motivating to get her in the room in the first place. She hates his
smell and doesn't like to be anywhere she can smell him (won't get in
our bed if he's been on the sheets, for example). He holds a down-stay
pretty solidly now, so it should be easier than when he was a little
puppy. But she is so gloriously stubborn!