Old July 19th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default "Missing Cat" Flyers delivered

"hopitus" wrote in message

Just to add my input to the chorus "don;t trust phone 411 from
shelters"....in
early May I was trying to adopt a cat I took out of the "for adoption"
cages
at nearest shelter. Can't believe indicative signs in the
place...turned out he
was "on hold" for vet care and shelter would not release for adoption.
I called
3 times and visited again once during next 2 weeks, waiting for
*their* shelter
vet to come. During this time period, which continued till last week
of May,
I learned that his "medical hold" (relief to me) was only for dental
cleaning and
extraction of several abcessed teeth. Also learned that vet (whom I
never saw)
had okayed his general health for adoption other than his teeth. Lo
and behold
the last week I called again (having been told to come adopt him and
take him
home that day) only to learn he was sent in a group for adoption up to
a PetCo
store north of metro Denver in an area I had never been to! Calling
the PetCo,
I learned that yes, he was there, and they would hold him till I got
there. It
turned out to my horror the PetCo was in a tiny area of a 'burb
enclosed and
surrounded by two major interstates, neither of which I drive on. None
of which
I learned from original shelter. I managed to find the PetCo, adopt
him, and he
and I found out we could not exit the tiny strip mall without sticking
ourselves
in heavy rushhour traffic on *both* the xways. *He* was happy in the
soft-sided
cat carrier I had brought for him, seatbelted beside me. I was
ballistic, calling
anyone's name I could think of in vain while trying to exit to my
merge to the
route heading south to home, but especially the left hand at shelter,
which so
obviously knows not what the right hand there doeth, LOL. Meaning
phone
411! Wholeheartedly advise NOT to phone shelters, much better results
by
accosting them in person.

***

This is true. However, that's rather difficult when one is ill, as Yowie
is.

Joy