Old November 6th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

http://picasaweb.google.com/sheelagh...83858555011090
meeee wrote:
Hi,

I'm a reg. Siamese breeder in Australia and have recently had the same
trouble; getting a new girl in is a risky job and next time I'd advise (no
matter how ethical the breeder seems) that you isolate any new cats from the
others for 2 weeks at least, bathe in antifungal wash and get a full blood
panel and check up done by the vet. I've just had ringworm introduced to my
cat and human family (I have a small number of breeding cats, all my
moggies, my family sharing the house) by an 'ethical' breeder who neglected
to tell me about her ringworm problem, so I can advise you on how to lessen
the damage. I'd also be checking for mites, it doesnt sound to me like flea
allergies but ringworm or mites. Ok now for my treatment plan; isolate all
cats showing ringworm signs. Use a bleach solution to wash down all floors
and walls as much as possible; thoroughly vacuum carpets and upholstery. A
product called 'F10' is the most effective, both to wash your cats, the
floors and also can be used on upholstery and carpets. It wont stain but
check anyway. F10 can also be used as a topical treatment on ringworm
lesions; its the best thing. If you cant get F10 use Malaseb as a washl less
effective but if used regularly does help. A disinfectant called Benzyl
Colonium Chloride (check disinfectant labels) can be used on upholstery and
carpet without staining. Ringworm is spread by 'flakes' of the fungus, so
regular vacuuming/mopping will help you keep it down. Also take the cat
immediately to the vet; he will prescribe an antibiotic called Grisolven or
Griseofulven (same thing) that destroys the cell walls of the ringworm :you
will NEVER get rid of it without this. Be careful with young kittens though
as there is some link to liver damage, however I've had no problem. Just
watch it with cats with liver conditions and check with your vet about use
during pregnancy/lactation/in young kittens. Mostly the ringworm will be
dormant with adult cats (which is why I suggest checking for mites or lice)
but will attack your kittens and any cats with a low immune system. Keep on
top of it with the kittens, as ringworm patches grow back darker until the
next moult, so points can look patchy and affect showing and sale. DO NOT
sell on any kittens until the ringowrm is healed and fur has grown back;
you'll just get yourself a bad reputation, as the breeder who did this to
you just has. For your family, wash all bedding, clothes, table linen etc
and use an anti fungal and anti bacterial wash instead of fabric softener.
It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and a
dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is neat
tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion where I
got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of these
steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills insects
I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine to
kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!