Old October 8th 08, 09:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Tube Audio[_2_]

Default Cats Moaning in the night?

Hi

I have three feral that I am working with, two males and a female. They are
about 1.5 years old. About a year ago, I trapped neutered and released
them. I feed them and am working with them.

Two nights ago I heard loud strange moaning, it lasted under a minute.

I haven't seen the female for two days now. This is the first time that I
have not seen her in the morning and the evening when I feed them. They
live in my courtyard and backyard.

There are usually no other cats around so I assuming the moaning was two of
my cats mating. And it seems strange that I haven't seen the female since I
heard the moaning.

Any ideas what went on or is going on?

Can / do females go into heat in October, I am in San Mateo California.

If they were mating, do both cats make the moaning noise? It seemed like
two noises from two cars. The sound had a long sustain, almost like a howl
but it was more of a moaning noise.

any ideas would help.

Is it common for a female to take off for a few dates?

So do you think it was the female that initialed it? Or an aggressive male?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new with cats.