Old October 19th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Default Preventing mats

---MIKE--- wrote:
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

Not a brush - use a medium-toothed grooming comb, preferably one that
is teflon-coated. You need to groom him from the hindquarters forward,
by lifting a section of hair and combing the hair *underneath* from
base to tip. Then release a bit more hair and repeat. Work your way
to the front of the cat. Use a fine-toothed comb on paws and face, and
any other areas where the hair tends to be shorter. (Or while his hair
is still short from the shave). You need to comb him every other day,
minimally, and until you get good at it, it may take as much as 45
minutes to an hour to do it properly.

Some day I will take some photos to demonstrate this technique. It's
much easier than it sounds.

Good luck,
-L.