Old October 2nd 04, 05:45 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Howard Berkowitz had some very interesting things
to say about A Miracle Story (WAS: Latest news on "the eye"):

Admittedly computer science rather than literature, but I still remember
a brief and dubious sampling of one graduate program. I was taking a
course in [of interest to CS people only] discrete mathematical
structures, and the lecture was on applications of finite state automata.
The professor happened to pull an example from a very familiar industry
document, a standard method of measuring network performance. He showed
a page, and said "the description here can be rewritten in our terms to
mean AAA".
I raised my hand. "Professor, do you think that BBB might be an
alternate interpetation?"
"Nonsense. This is clear."
A few minutes later, I inquired again, "could it be that the thought was
BBB?"
"No".
I couldn't stand it any longer. "Sir, I really think you should conside
the BBB interpretation."
He whirled around and demanded "why on earth do you think a silly thing
like that was in the committee's mind?"
"Because that's not what I meant when I drafted that section. You might
want to look at the list of coauthors."
It was clear he was tenured, as he changed the subject with barely a blink.

ROTFL!!!!!