Old March 5th 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default New Scratcher and a question

Most of you know I've had a fight with Buffy's claws and her tearing up
the chairs in my living room. (Funny, she was so good about letting me
clip them the first couple of times.) She ignores the sisal rope
scratcher completely.

A neighbor gave me a big wide roll of two-sided sticky tape for
cat-proofing the chairs. (Thank you!) Works great, but it looks pretty
darn tacky! I sure don't want all my furniture covered in double-sided
sheets of tape!

My SO suggested I drape the chairs with old sheets. Hmmmm.

Buffy has a carpeted kitty barrel/cradle piece of furniture (inherited
from Persia). She scratches the heck out of the thick cedar support
posts, which is what they were designed for. It's like she's
scratching a tree. Fine, except it does nothing to trim her nails. I
wind up having to vaccuum up small shards of wood! That's pretty annoying.

Buffy always did like the cheap Smarty Cat corrugated cardboard
scratcher. Not that it did much for her nails.

The one she had had gotten worn. I had a spare in the closet. G I
got it out, this time set it up as a slanted scratcher. Sprinkled it
with a bit of the enclosed catnip. (It smelled pretty potent, and that
thing has been in the closet for 6 months!) She found it immediately.
Stood on it, ate a bit of the catnip and started scratching.

We played for a bit after that (she had sort of the zoomies from da'
nip! Tossed the golf ball around. Now she's on her kitty cradle taking
a nap.

Maybe with the new scratcher she'll forget about the chairs for a while.

Do you think if I covered the chairs with old sheets Buffy would stop
trying to use them as scratching posts?

Jill