Old November 5th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood JeepŠ

Default cat very very sick, HELP!

In news:68da1fc7d3c78@uwe,
mittensowner purred:
Hi, I need advice for my sick cat. He's going on 11 years old. He's
gotten thinner, when i pick him up he's much lighter and you can feel
his spine when you couldn't before. the most alarming thing, he has
and thirst that can't seem to be quenched. He will not hang out
anywhere that he can't get to water quickly, and he'll drink water
out of anything: the toilet, people's glasses, the sink, the dog's
water dish, not to metion his own which is huge. The other night i
filled an old cool whip container with water and put it down in my
room for him so he could hang out with me and still be close to
water, he almost finished half of it in one sitting. As a result, of
course, he urinates in huge amounts at a time. I'm worried, he seems
to young to be knocking on death's door, but this is not normal
behaviour. Please help.

You, cat, vet NOW!!!

Extreme thirst is a sign of two adult cat diseases/ailments that I that I
can think of off the top of my head, one is Chronic Renal (kidney) Failure,
the other is Diabetes.

Please that your cat to the vet, and in addition to a checkup, have a full
"blood panel" done - they check the blood for *everything*, which is useful
in older cats (a cat is considered senior after the age of 10).