Old February 14th 05, 06:13 AM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
Glarb wrote:
I've been thinking about this. I have spent huge sums of money on the

cat I
have had for the past seven or eight years. But I have money, and I

don't
think about it. But if I didn't have money -- let's say living from
paycheck to paycheck -- and the vet came in and said, "$850 for labwork

and
surgery." Forgive me, but I would probably have to draw the line there

and
have the poor thing put to rest. I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

Glarb

I have lots and lots of credit. As long as I wasn't putting my cat
through unnecessary treatments that would not actually improve his or
her quality of life...I would not put a price limit on their heads. Keep
in mind, I am only a school teacher. I am not a rich woman. But, I love
my cats like children and if I had children, I certainly wouldn't
euthanize them if the bills got high!

Your question is a tough as well as very personal one though...because
certainly not everyone is able to fork up indefinite amounts of money.
This kind of thread could definitely lead into some flames and
judgements...which I would personally not like to see.

if only it were easy...
pam

I would take out a second mortgage on my house for my cats.
Or an equity loan. And I would ask relatives for money if need be--
which is something I have done maybe twice in my life. I would ask
friends for money, something I have never done. I would sell
all my collectables to pay for my cats' health needs. I would do
everything I could, as long as I was not, as you say, Pam, putting them
through hell when they did not have a good chance at a decent
recovery. I am their caretaker, and it is my responsibility to not
only get them health care but also to see to it that they do not
suffer unnecessarily.