Old October 10th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Default Shtupid Vet Clinic

gracecat wrote:

Let me first say this is about a dog initially, but the cats reaped the
benefits as well. If I had been active on the board, I would have shared
this. This was the biggest vet issue we had in two years. And the short
version.

Mutt (my 10 year old err... mutt) had been with her vet for seven years
before this happened. We were happy but the clinic changed. The main vet
sold her half to go home and use her professional career to specialize in
equine fertility (breeding horses, her own and clients). The junior vet
bought her half and continued to practice in the clinic. However he had a
very noticable preference towards livestock. And this was fine while there
were two vets in and out of the clinic. My father has horses and this
remaining vet is a FANTASTIC equine vet. However it was no longer fantastic
when the clinic operated without a vet in house 90% of the time.

The last straw was when I let Mutt out one morning and 10 minutes later when
she came inside I noticed a faint green wet spot on the limestone driveway
beside my front tire... I wasn't quite awake the first time I was at the
door.

Oh... No...

Now I didn't panic because 1) Mutt always runs off to the bushes and never
bothers with near the door which was where my truck was. And I watched her
run from where my truck was not. 2) Her muzzle was not wet or sticky and 3)
even if she had it was literally seconds ago if she did.

I called the vet. I knew there was something they could do if antifreeze
poisoning is detected within moments of ingestion. And yes there is, liquid
charcoal. I admitted I didn't think she had but antifreeze was on the ground
and she was outside unsupervised for a few moments. And she's worth it to me
that if it we can, I'd like to treat her on the assumption she may have. Of
course they said bring her on in.

25 minutes after she possibly but not probable licked antifreeze I was
holding my dog in the vet's office listening to the receptionist ask me
"didn't the tech tell you? The vet's not here and we can't do anything. He
should be here in an hour."

An hour...

Let's review the facts. Antifreeze, long-time client and you're refusing to
help me until the vet can look at the dog properly. Oh of course, sure I'd
like to leave my dog here so the doctor can look at her "when he gets a
chance". NOT!

Suffice to say, she did not. And we found a new vet by the recommendation of
one of the local animal rescue's board members. And we love the clinic. His
office is less than 25 yards from his house, the entire property is fenced
in and on-site is a pet cemetary that they keep immaculate. When he has a
sick animal, he literally checks on them all night long.

snip

I'm glad you found a vet that is there for you.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek