Old August 9th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

Default Vichissoise (or potato leek soup) (WAS: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
wrote in message
Sporge flooding of rec.pets.cats.anecdotes will commence in a few
hours.

This will render rec.pets.cats.anecdotes useless. For an example,
see Sci.Crypt.

Supernews filters out this sporgery spam. Get a better Usenet
experience. Sign up for our risk-free trial today!

This is being spammed all over the place (well, with the newsgroup
changed as appropriate). Its got nothing to do with Supernews. It
seems to have something to do with sci.crypt - so if you do post a
recipe please be careful as to the newsgroup line. Just hitting
'reply' will send your post off to sci.crypt rather than RPCA.

Yowie

This the season for Vichyssoise - a chilled potato and leek soup which
originated in the U.S. in 1917 but has a french name because the chef who
created it was born in Vichy, France (or so the legend goes).

Actually, I prefer my potato-leek soup (and prefer it hot, regardless of
the
outside temp) so you're going to get that recipe instead Call it
Vichyssoise if you serve it cold; call it potato-leek soup if you serve it
hot. (My original recipe calls for serving it hot in toasted sourdough
bread bowls.)

2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced
2 large leeks, washed well and thinly sliced. Finely chop the green
parts.
4 c. chicken broth or stock
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4-1/2 c. heavy cream (I use half & half most of the time)
dash grated nutmeg
1 Tbs. dried parsley for garnish (optional)

In a large pot, combine the potatoes, leeks, chicken broth and salt &
pepper
(to taste, really). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and
simmer
15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Strain the soup into a
large mixing bowl or another pan. Blend the potatoes and leeks with about
1/4 broth until smooth (I use my stick blender for this). Return blended
mixture to pan with remaining liquid. Stir in cream and nutmeg and heat
through. Spoon into prepared bread bowls. Sprinkle with parsley to
garnish. Serves 4

Jill

Dee-lishus!